I’m often asked;
How long does it take to become a great singer?
Why can’t I get my lucky break?
How do artists like Harry Styles, Adele, Beyonce, Taylor & Billie do it?
How did Elvis, Aretha, The Beatles and Bob Dylan set themselves apart?
Let me sum it up for you. I’ll share their BIGGEST secrets and what may be holding you back!
Becoming a great singer requires a combination of natural talent, dedication, practise, and a strong work ethic. While some individuals may have a predisposition for singing, anyone can improve their singing abilities with the right coaching and consistent effort. Here are some key elements I believe contribute to becoming a great & successful singer:
And yes I’m speaking from experience!
- Natural Ability: Some people have innate qualities such as a good sense of pitch, vocal range, and tone quality that can give them a head start. However, even if you don’t possess these traits naturally, with practise, training and time, you can still develop into a great singer.
- Vocal Training: Taking vocal lessons from a qualified voice teacher can greatly enhance your singing abilities. They can teach you proper techniques, vocal exercises, breath support and help you develop good vocal habits. Vocal training can expand your range, improve your control, and refine your vocal tone.
- Practise: Regular and consistent practise is crucial for improvement. Singing exercises, warm-ups, and vocal drills help develop muscle memory, strengthen your vocal cords, and improve your overall technique. Practise regularly, ideally with guidance from a vocal coach or through structured self-study.
- Ear Training: Developing a good ear for music is essential for a singer. Ear training helps you recognize and reproduce pitches accurately, improves your sense of rhythm, and allows you to sing in tune. Practicing pitch matching, interval recognition, and sight-singing exercises can help train your ear.
- Music Theory: Understanding the basics of music theory can greatly benefit a singer. Knowing concepts such as scales, keys, chords, and notation can assist with interpreting and performing songs, harmonizing, and improvising.
- Performance Skills: A great singer not only possesses technical proficiency but also knows how to connect with the audience. Developing stage presence, expression, and communication skills can elevate your performances and make them more captivating. On stage & in the audition room.
- Persistence and Passion: Becoming a great singer takes time, effort, and a genuine love for singing. Stay committed, seek opportunities to perform, and remain passionate about honing your skills. Overcoming challenges, rejections and setbacks is part of the journey, especially in the entertainment industry, so persistence and self-belief is key. Align yourself with other great musicians and experts who encourage you.
- Self-Reflection and Improvement: Continuously evaluating your own performances, seeking constructive feedback from professionals, and working on areas that need improvement are crucial for growth. Stay open to learning, adapt to feedback, and strive to enhance your technique, style, and interpretation. And remember, we change as people. Let your style and artistry evolve. Don’t be boxed in. You are unique. Don’t try to be anybody else.
And now the icing on the cake that few singing coaches can help you with…
- Personal Presence: connecting with and expressing your true unmasked, inner authentic voice is your superpower. Finding and owning this can require guidance and courage. Your emotional and energetic body is how you access it. Once you find it, you will be unique, magnetic and unstoppable.
- Remove Your Inner Blocks: Your subconscious self-limiting and self-sabotaging blocks are unknowingly holding you back. Money, time, success, persistence & creativity can all be blocked if you don’t deal with underlying hidden issues. All the excuses you make as an artist, can be transmuted with guided processes. So you can get on with your dreams and success.
- Business Skills: If you’re gigging or promoting your music, recognise you are a business, a brand and you need good marketing and negotiation skills. You have to know & communicate your true self worth and get comfortable with self-promotion.
These are the additional unique trainings I can offer you, in my singing, performance & personal coaching. A culmination of 30 years of industry experience and training.
Please reach out if you want to ask me any questions, with a no obligation call.
Remember that every singer’s journey is unique, and progress & goals will vary from person to person. Embrace your individuality, develop your strengths, and work on your weaknesses to become the best singer (and person) you can be.